Thursday 4 September 2008

Now That's Football Lad!

Me? Talking about football... surely not.

Alan Curbishley has left West Ham because he thinks the English Premier League is being ruined by millionaires interested in demonstrating status, rather than building good football teams

Aside from that being the longest html link I've ever typed (I know, I need to get out more), I think he's got a point.

On one of the rare occasions when I ventured from the safety of my own little world to go see a movie at the cinema, I ran into a couple of Italian clients who asked me why I wasn't watching The Champions League Final. This was a reasonable question as two English teams were in the final. I replied, 'Why would I care who wins - Millionaire A's team or Millionaire B's team?'

English Football Clubs began as community clubs. Their connection to their community is vital. The Premier League is becoming an elaborate Tax Dodge and Status Symbol for the Rich. And the fans? The fans are becoming wine-bar yuppies who'll support whichever team will give them glory (oh, and an excuse to get boozed up and obnoxious on expensive bottles of champagne).

Football for me was going to see Rotherham, Hartlepool and Darlington games with my dad as a boy. Misery. 90mins of cold wind and no discernible footballing talent to speak of. But that, versus the Premier League? Give me flat caps, pork pies, and 0-0 draws in the rain any day - now that's football lad!

No comments: