Wednesday 2 July 2008

Paperback Writer and Jumpin' Jack Flash

Pop Culture! Pop Culture! Pop Culture!

Pop culture is an important part of the way native English speakers speak their language. It various from nation to nation and, of course, depends on an individual's age, sex and personal tastes. If you want to be able to speak the language in a way that reflects its true culture and personality, you have to 'get with' our pop culture.

From 'Don't have a cow man' (Bart Simpson) to 'What-Ever' (Friends) to 'I'm too old for this sh*t' (Lethal Weapon) to 'I have a cunning plan' (Blackadder) ...from 'You don't always get what you want, but you get what you need' (The Rolling Stones) to 'All you need is love' (The Beatles) to 'If you want to be my lover, you gotta get with my friends' (The Spice Girls)

...lines from films, TV and music work their way into the English language. More so for Cinema junkies like myself, but a factor for most, if not all native speakers.

So, it be time to begin your education in pop culture:

First of all, and for my buddie Yvonne who, by the sounds of it, is having a hard time writing this week - The Beatles' Paperback Writer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaYJaFWTHgM&feature=related

...and for those of you who need the practice, the lyrics:

Paperback writer

Dear Sir or Madam, will you read my book?
It took me years to write, will you take a look?
Based on a novel by a man named Lear
And I need a job, so I want to be a paperback writer,
Paperback writer.

It's the dirty story of a dirty man
And his clinging wife doesn't understand.
His son is working for the Daily Mail,
It's a steady job but he wants to be a paperback writer,
Paperback writer.

Paperback writer

It's a thousand pages, give or take a few,
I'll be writing more in a week or two.
I can make it longer if you like the style,
I can change it round and I want to be a paperback writer,
Paperback writer.

If you really like it you can have the rights,
It could make a million for you overnight.
If you must return it, you can send it here
But I need a break and I want to be a paperback writer,
Paperback writer.

Paperback writer

Paperback writer - paperback writer
Paperback writer - paperback writer

On the other side of British pop, The Rolling Stones 'Jumpin' Jack Flash':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAqtsNWkpUk

'Jumpin' Jack Flash'

Watch it!
I was born in a cross-fire hurricane
And I howled at my ma in the driving rain,
But it's all right now, in fact, it's a gas!
But it's all right. I'm Jumpin' Jack Flash, It's a Gas! Gas! Gas!

I was raised by a toothless, bearded hag,
I was schooled with a strap right across my back,
But it's all right now, in fact, it's a gas!
But it's all right, I'm Jumpin' Jack Flash, It's a Gas! Gas! Gas!

I was drowned, I was washed up and left for dead.
I fell down to my feet and I saw they bled.
I frowned at the crumbs of a crust of bread.
Yeah, yeah, yeah I was crowned with a spike right thru my head.
But it's all right now, in fact, it's a gas!
But it's all right, I'm Jumpin' Jack Flash, It's a Gas! Gas! Gas!

Jumping Jack Flash, its a gas
Jumping Jack Flash, its a gas
Jumping Jack Flash, its a gas
Jumping Jack Flash, its a gas

...I should say that the videos are very, well, late 60s... magical time in music video production. ;)

Have fun, learn you lyrics and remember... it's ok to sing your offices. It helps productivity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

tis just i...yes yes...pop culture...and can i add to your list?? from 'Money..don't take a slice of my pie' (Pink Floyd).....to 'can i have a remedy' (black crowes) to even better...'I need a miracle, ev-ery-day' (Grateful Dead)....to being those 'Spirits in a material world' (the police)...and finally, 'take me to the river and drop me in the water' (the talking heads)...
perhaps pop culture is doing us in;)

tobytheteacher said...

Hey,

I'd agree with some of those... hmmm Sting and his Police.... curious human being, Sting.