Sunday 15 November 2009

I Hate You Day

I think negative emotions are not recognized enough by modern society.  I think one of the reasons so many of us suffer from depression, is because we are under so much pressure to be nice and positive all the time. 

For example: they are lots of days in the calender when you can tell someone how much you love them, but there are no days when you can tell someone how much you hate them.

I think we need a 'I Hate You Day': a day when it is socially acceptable to tell someone how much you hate them.

 
We could have 'I hate you' cards.  We could have chocolates in the shape of a hand 'flipping you the bird'.  We could create an entire new economy based on 'I hate you' products.

One day a year to release all our negative feelings about each other:  that person who bullied you at school, the ex boyfriend or girlfriend who just stopped calling, the boss who never took any of your ideas seriously. 

We all have people in our past who, for one reason or another, hurt us deeply; but, because it's so long ago, we no longer feel it is socially acceptable to keep telling them.  We need a day for that.

 
Ok.. so it probably wouldn't work so well for people who are presently in our lives, but for those past people: imagine how therapeutic it would be to have one day, when it was ok to tell someone you hate them.

No comments: